Yarmouk University is a public state-supported university located near the city center of Irbid in northern Jordan.
Since it was established by Royal Decree in 1976, Yarmouk University has topped the best university lists in Jordan and the Middle East.
Yarmouk University has around 37,000 students working within a total of 15 faculties offering 52 bachelor’s degrees, 64 master’s degrees, and 18 PhD programs in different disciplines. The university also hosts 12 research and career centers, including the Aqaba Marine Science Station at Aqaba, The Refugees, Displaced Persons & Forced Migration Studies Center, and the UNESCO Chair for Desert Studies & Combat Desertification.
The vision of the university is based on the experiences of forty years of academic excellence that the university has experienced since its establishment in 1976. The vision reflects the desired position of the university by 2020. The vision is based on a correct understanding of the surrounding reality of the university, the challenges it faces, and the aspirations of all influential groups affected by the university’s activities, In addition to a set of values that distinguish Yarmouk University.
Pioneering and excellence in the fields of education, scientific research, and community service; to put Yarmouk University in a prominent position locally, regionally and globally.
The message of the University reflects the main reason for the establishment of the University. The message reflects the activities, programs, and services that the University seeks to provide and the means by which its vision can be realized.
Developing competencies in various fields of science and knowledge through providing distinguished education and producing of innovative scientific research that serves the community and contributes to building knowledge economy by creating a university environment that stimulates creativity, through freedom of expression and responding to the demands of society and scientific development.
Values of the University
The success of the university’s strategic plan requires the determination of a set of values that represent the basic premise governing the behavior of all the university’s members. However, simply defining these values is not enough to achieve the plan. These values must be constantly strengthened in order to transform them from mere slogans into powerful and influential actions and a solid basis for university-level treatment. Academic excellence is the main focus of the values of the university. These values are
- Social and Ethical Commitment: Yarmouk University strives to achieve the highest levels of social and moral commitment, and to consolidate the values of moderation and equality in line with the teachings of the true Islam, Arab customs and traditions, and human ethics.
- Sense of belonging: The University strives to achieve the highest levels of the sincere national sense of belonging of its students and employees by: strengthen the national spirit and put the public interest above all personal interests.
- Global Vision: The University adopts a global vision in terms of global humanitarian principles and standards, seeks positive interaction with all cultures, and opens the doors of cooperation with all outstanding international universities and research centers.
- Comprehensiveness: The University strives to achieve comprehensiveness in the integration of different forms of knowledge, and to expand the range of disciplines and research interests.
- Quality: The university is committed to high standards of education, always seeking to develop the educational process, scientific research and community service according to the highest quality.
- Rewarding Outstanding Performance and accountability: The University believes that the positive behavior and excellence of the University’s family members must be supported through the University’s plans to reward the outstanding performance of its employees. At the same way, the university will establish a system of accountability for the employees, especially academic and administrative leaders.
- Transparency and Academic Freedom: The University encourages openness and interaction with others and emphasizes its interest in the values of justice, integrity and academic freedom.
- Decentralization: The University believes that all university parties should participate in the decision-making process. This can be achieved through the strengthening of decisions at the levels of departments, faculties, administrative units and students. The University supports the trend towards greater decentralization of decision-making.
- Educated Institution: The University believes that tangible progress can only be achieved by adapting university practices to accommodate the development of modern science and technology and their applications in teaching and scientific research.